Monday, July 28, 2008

Caulking the sink, plus a bonus

Yet another home improvement project. I decided the giant gaps inbetween the sink and the counter were not ok. Especially since ants use it like the Holland tunnel. Look at these gaping chasms.
Yuck!
Gah!

A quick trip to the hardware store, and I had all the equipment I needed: an all-purpose tube of caulky goodness.

Thumbs up indeed!

I made sure the sink was completely dry, and stripped off the old and no longer functioning caulky stuff. To open the tube, I cut it open at an angle.

Really, I used a karate chop.

It's kind of like using a tube of toothpaste. I squeezed out the caulk directly into the gap, making a neat line.

Minty fresh

I then ran my finger under water and pressed it firmly into the caulk and evened out the texture. How's that for power tools?

So fresh, so clean clean

You have to let it dry for at least 24 hours. And then, voila! The sink was as new. And the ants were nowhere in sight.

Rawk!!

Bonus project

I'd always been wondering about this little ledge sticking out over the drawers on one side of the sink. I had a sneaking suspicion that it wasn't just for decoration.

Hmmm... suspicious ledge

After inspecting the area around it, I took an old knife and began working the blade around the edges. Turns out that it had been painted over and this whole (3 year) time I've been living here, I've had a built-in cutting board!

With a little soap, you'll be ready to go!

No comments: